So, I went ahead and installed it. And midway through the process, it decided it really wanted a file from my Windows CD. But, near as I can tell, the file isn't actually on my Windows CD. (It found precopy1.cab, but no luck on whatever it was looking for inside of that) Spent a few minutes trying to reason with it, and eventually told it to go ahead and skip the file. Installation completed, and everything seemed to be fine.
Long story short, I don't have a MIDI interface anymore.
Several options present themselves:
- Dig up and organize all of my CDs, hopefully finding a different one to try.
- Upgrade to WinXP and see how often the beta version of my music software crashes.
- Give up on MIDI, throw away my keyboard equipment, and program music via mouse and keyboard.
- Give up on music, throw away my computer, and go back to drawing on cave walls.
- Go back to sleep, and hope the problem fixes itself.
I figured I'd start with that last one and maybe work backwards through the list.